For the vast majority of the people across this country – and worldwide it seems – yesterday was an event of monumental proportions. The Big Game was televised on televisions across the globe as well as on the internet – showcasing the ultimate in football glory. Millions of people convene for house parties or events at their local sports bar, throwing back cold beer and eating way too much pizza, hot dogs, cheese sticks and other junk food your arteries will hate you for the next morning. Speaking of which, despite every other game during the football being played at either 1pm or 4pm EST, this one is in prime time and often ends quite late in the evening. This leads to very little sleep, since all of us need to get up and go to work the next morning. That is until they make the day after the game a national holiday – call it Super Monday or whatever. But I digress. Here are a few concoctions on how to cure a hangover:
Bloody Beery (Bloody Mary with BEEAH)
8 oz tomato juice (6-8 oz)
8 oz IPA
dash of Worcestershire sauce
juice of a lime
juice of a half lemon
dash of pepper
2 Dashes of Hot Sauce (preferably Irv’s Sixpoint Hot Sauce)
- Pour all ingredients into a shaker glass with ice and shake until your arm falls off.
- Get your significant other, kid, or neighbor to pour into a pint glass.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Throw in an optional celery stick if you like big thick stalks poking you in the eye while you drink.
For the rim
1 tablespoon sea salt, fine or coarse
1 1/2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
1 lime wedge
For the michelada
1/3 cp tomato juice
juice of half a lime
3 dashes of hot sauce (preferably Irv’s Sixpoint Hot Sauce)
12oz bottle Pilsner (Sixpoint The Crisp, Sierra Nevada Nooner, Firestone Walker Pivo Pils, Victory Prima Pils, etc)
2 lime wedges
- On a small plate, stir together the salt and ancho chile powder.
- Moisten the rim of a pint glass with the lime wedge, then dip the rim in the salt mixture to coat.
- Pour the tomato juice, lime juice, hot sauce and ice into a shaker and shake it with your big right arm aka the prison arm.
- Pour into your rimmed pint glass and serve with a lime wedge on the side.
adapted from: http://leitesculinaria.com/80976/recipes-michelada.html#2CAV1wMDsrV4Zj4s.99
The Ojo Rojo (Red Eye)
2 lime wedges
4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
2-4 dashes hot sauce (preferably Irv’s Sixpoint Hot Sauce)
pinch Black pepper (no not pinche)
Ice or not
1 Pilsner (Firestone Walker Pivo Pils, Victory Prima Pils, etc)
- If you like fluffy pillows on your couch and have more than 2 decorative pillows on your bed, add 1/2 tsp cayenne and 1 tsp salt to a small plate, wet the rim of your glass and dip the glass in the mixture to get a nice rim full of seasoning you could have just as well sprinkled on top of the mixed drink.
- Squeeze 2 wedges of lime into your glass, then add Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, hot sauce and black pepper.
- Fill the glass halfway with ice cubes or grow some cojones and drink it neat and fill it with da beeah!
adapted from: http://noshon.it/recipes/ojo-rojo-red-eye-mexican-hangover-cure/